Feed ConveyorSpecial Features | Mechanical Specifications | Safety Features
(extra short version)
with infeed hopper and
transition hood onto a
FEED CONVEYOR WITH PIT HOPPER
The REMCON FEED CONVEYOR is designed to feed cans, glass, newspaper, and cardboard at a desired rate of flow onto a sorting conveyor, screen, or other machinery. Special features of the REMCON design make this important step as trouble free as possible. Options include automated metering controls.
AUTOMATED FEED CONTROLThis feature (optional) electronically monitors the amount of material on the belt, and varies the belt speed as needed, from a low of 20% of normal, up to a maximum of 200% of normal speed. This significantly reduces both surges and dry spots on belts that interfere with sorting, etc., and decrease throughout.
VARIABLE SPEEDThe drive system speed control allows adjustment to the rate of flow onto the sorting conveyor or other machinery for the most efficiency under a wide range of conditions.
INCLINE ANGLEREMCON feed conveyors use the optimum angle for feeding the consistently correct amount of material onto the cleated conveyor belt without rollback.
BELT WIDTHThe 36 inch (or more for higher volumes) cleated belt carries a high volume of material at a shallow depth preventing rollback and jamming.
FULLY ENCLOSED RETURN PANThe return belt is completely enclosed for safety and to collect debris that clings to the belt. The belt cleats remove the debris from the pan. The debris is then deposited into a clean-out spout or collection area. The result is a completely clean and safe floor space under the conveyor.
CLEAN OUT SPOUTOn conveyors that carry broken glass and other debris that clings to the belt, the clean-out spout collects debris from the return pan and deposits it into a built-in, removable tray.
ONE PIECE CONVEYOR BODYThe conveyor body including the return belt chute is formed from one piece of 3/16 inch steel plate. This extra strong tubular construction minimizes the need for support legs which interfere with bins, additional machinery, and walkway.
TRANSITION HOPPERS AND HOODSHoods and hoppers are provided at transition points for safety, to contain material, and to keep debris out of the mechanical components. They also cushion the fall of material, reducing glass breakage and noise.
BELT COVERThe belt cover reduces the dead weight on the belt at the bottom of the feed hopper and prevents broken glass and metal debris from damaging the belt edges.
SLAT BED DESIGNThe conveyor bed, which the belt slides on, is constructed of slats, rather than solid steel. A solid bed traps both small debris and moisture underneath the belt. The debris causes increased friction and wear on both the belt and the bed. The moisture which can include sticky liquid from containers, causes suction and drag on the belt. The slat design allows this debris and moisture to escape, thus preventing these problems.
BELT EDGE SEALSThese seals are part of the bed, underneath the edges of the belt. They minimize the amount of debris that works itself underneath the belt to cause excessive wear on both the belt and the pan.
CONVEYOR ALIGNMENTRemcon conveyors are shop fabricated in the longest sections practical (up to 40 ft.). Adjoining sections are aligned accurately with each other in the shop as they are fabricated. The entire conveyor is aligned again (and leveled) during installation, to prevent the belt from wandering and wearing into the side of the conveyor. Built-in leveling devices make the leveling and alignment procedure quicker and more accurate.
PARALLEL GEAR, SHAFT MOUNTED, TORQUE ARM REDUCERS (DODGE TORQUE-ARM 2)These reducers have been used almost exclusively in sand, rock, gravel, mining, etc., industries, for many years, and are well proven. Remcon has used them since 1990, with good success. Advantages include low maintenance, ease of adjustment, fewer wear parts, no shear pins, efficient parallel gears, operating and maintenance convenience, excellent availability, separate motor for ease of replacement, ease of changing reduction ratios, etc.
REMCON BELT TAKE-UPS AND TRACKINGRemcon cantilevered telescoping tube style, with manual screw adjustment offer the following advantages:
- Cleaning Access -- The support tubes are positioned to provide access to the area between the upper & lower belts, for cleaning and inspection of the tail pulley
- Replaceable parts -- The bearings are commonly available pillow block style. The threaded working parts of the take-up are commonly available from local fastener or hardware stores, and replaced easily.
- Take-up travel -- Generous length of take-up travel: 10 on the shorter conveyors, up to 18 on the longest. On Slider bed conveyors, the belt will be cut so that the majority of the take-up is used for ease of belt installation, repair and replacement, since good quality belts with polyester carcasses have virtually no stretch after initial tensioning, and in some cases will shrink slightly.
- Ease of adjustment -- Belt tracking and tension adjustments are made at the tail pulley with one wrench, with no need to loosen and re-tighten the bearing attachment bolts. The moving parts of the take-up have generous amounts of clearance, to prevent binding in the frame or against the bearings (side load) as the take-up moves through its full range. The head pulley is equipped with additional tracking adjusters.
- Versatility -- Remcon take-ups will accommodate almost any brand of bearing, in the most common, pillow block style.
SUPPORT LEGSSteel tube construction, with height adjusting devices that also provide accurate leveling.
COMMON COMPONENTSREMCON conveyors are all built from components widely distributed throughout the USA, providing quick and easy service if needed from just about anywhere in the country.
VARIABLE SPEED DRIVEREMCON feed conveyors are equipped with totally enclosed, fan cooled, motors with variable speed drives.
GEAR REDUCERDodge "Torque-Arm 2", parallel gear, shaft-mounted speed reducer meets American Gear Manufacturers Association class 2 rating.
- Crowning: The pulley crowning keeps belt tracking true, minimizing time-consuming adjustments.
- Self-Cleaning: For tail pulleys on conveyors that will be carrying glass. This wing style pulley is designed to expel broken glass and other debris from between the belt and the pulley. This prevents premature belt wear and jamming.
- Lagging: For head (drive) pulleys, on conveyors with heavy loads, for better traction. This heavy duty rubber layer is permanently hot-vulcanized to the pulley.
BELTHigh strength, moderately oil resistant rubber (MOR), 1/8 or thicker top cover with slider surface bottom cover, tensile rating of 330 pounds per inch of belt width. 3-ply woven Polyester carcass prevents future stretching after belt is first tensioned.
BELT CLEATS2 inch high (or higher if needed) beefy style, hot vulcanized to belt. These cleats are highly resistant to coming off, and if cut by sharps objects, the cuts do not spread further in the cleat.
BELT LACINGFlexco 375 XJ -- The largest, heaviest lacing available for this thickness of belt and pulley diameters. Attached with bolts, rather than staples. This lacing is long-lasting and resists damage.
BEARINGSDodge SXR pillow block with eccentric locking collar for better grip on shaft. All bearings are self-aligning, pillow-block style sealed units, requiring grease only bi-annually.
BELT SPEED4 feet per minute minimum, 150 maximum, with a variable speed range of 80% for standard controls, and a range of 180% for conveyors equipped with optional automatic speed control systems.
MOTORTeco-Westinghouse, severe duty, TEFC, 1.15 service factor, class F insulation for long motor life.
EMERGENCY STOP SYSTEMREMCON provides an emergency stop system, such as cable pull cords and emergency stop buttons as needed according to the system layout.
HOODED PULLEYSBoth ends of the conveyor are guarded by hoods to protect personnel from possible hazards.
FULLY ENCLOSED RETURN PANA completely enclosed belt return pan from head to tail eliminates hazards from all moving components, and prevents debris and liquid from falling on people underneath the conveyor.
HINGED GUARDS FOR DRIVE COMPONENTSRemcons standard guards are hinged to provide convenient access for inspection and maintenance without removing a guard. For conveyors that have insufficient clearance for a hinging door at the drive, the door, rather than entire guard, is unbolted to gain access.