Sorting ConveyorSpecial Features | Mechanical Specifications | Safety Features
With Pitch Hoppers, Drop Chutes, Discharge Hoods, Overhead Magnetic Separator (at far end).
- Infeed Transition Hood
The REMCON SORTING CONVEYOR is designed specifically for sorting recyclables. Special attention has been given to every detail to reduce the problems of glass breakage, belt wear, noise, personnel fatigue, safety and dust hazards, glass abrasion, debris spillage, etc.
SMOOTH SIDE WALLSThe outer side walls of the conveyor are free of all obstructions which may cause injury or discomfort to the sorter.
RECESSED SUPPORTSLegs, braces, and base plates are all recessed 4 inches from the face of the conveyor providing unrestricted space for the sorters knees and feet throughout the entire sorting area.
ROUNDED EDGESThe top edges of the conveyor are rounded for the sorters safety and comfort.
NARROW PROFILEThe conveyor body, designed specifically for sorting, is as narrow as possible only 1 3/8 wider than the actual belt width. This puts the sorters as close as possible to the material on the belt, decreasing reaching and bending to the minimum possible.
ONE PIECE BODYThe conveyor body, including the return belt pan, is formed from 3/16 inch steel plate. In addition to the features listed above, features of this design include:
- Safety is insured by enclosing the belt edges, return belt, head and tail pulleys and all pinch points.
- The return chute collects all debris that clings to, then falls from the belt keeping work areas clean and safe. The debris is collected in a clean-out at the tail of the conveyor.
- The are no belt support idlers, eliminating their pinch points and need to adjust, clean & grease,
- The extra strong formed tubular construction is very rigid. This allows a minimum of support legs that can interfere with cleaning, bin and chute placement, etc.
SIDEWALL HEIGHT OPTIONSExtensions -- If needed, sidewall extensions can be added where material depth is greater on the sorting line.
Doors If walls are needed for greater material depth, but sorting is required only at certain times, doors can be provided at sorting stations, to be opened only when sorting.
Special design many options are available for side wall height, troughing design, etc.
SEMI-TROUGHED SORTING BELTOptimum combination of flat center belt section and raised outer edges allows material to spread out properly without abrasive debris collecting underneath the belt. This design also allows for the most material to be spread on the belt for ease of sorting without spilling off of the sides.
BELT EDGE SEALSThese seals are part of the bed, underneath the edges of the belt. They minimize the amount of debris that works itself underneath the belt to cause excessive wear on both the belt and the pan.
SLAT BED DESIGNThe conveyor bed, which the belt slides on, is constructed of slats, rather than solid steel. A solid bed traps both small debris and moisture underneath the belt. The debris causes increased friction and wear on both the belt and the bed. The moisture which can include sticky liquid from containers, causes suction and drag on the belt. The slat design allows this debris and moisture to escape, thus preventing these problems.
PITCH HOPPERS, DROP CHUTESMany options are available for pitch hoppers and drop chutes, including 2-way options to divert material two different directions.
DIVIDERSVarious options are available for dividers (steel partitions, suspended above the belt), which allow one conveyor to carry more than one separate stream of material.
VARIABLE SPEEDThe drive system speed control allows adjustment to the rate of flow onto the sorting conveyor for the most efficient picking under a wide range of conditions.
TRANSITION HOPPERS AND HOODSHoods and hoppers are provided at transition points for safety, to contain material, and to keep debris out of the mechanical components. They also cushion the fall of material, reducing glass breakage and noise.
CONVEYOR ALIGNMENTRemcon conveyors are shop fabricated in the longest sections practical (up to 40 ft.). Adjoining sections are aligned accurately with each other in the shop as they are fabricated. The entire conveyor is aligned again (and leveled) during installation, to prevent the belt from wandering and wearing into the side of the conveyor. Built-in leveling devices make the leveling and alignment procedure quicker and more accurate.
PARALLEL GEAR, SHAFT MOUNTED, TORQUE ARM REDUCERS (DODGE TORQUE-ARM 2)These reducers have been used almost exclusively in sand, rock, gravel, mining, etc., industries, for many years, and are well proven. Remcon has used them since 1990, with good success. Advantages include low maintenance, ease of adjustment, fewer wear parts, no shear pins, efficient parallel gears, operating and maintenance convenience, excellent availability, separate motor for ease of replacement, ease of changing reduction ratios, etc.
REMCON BELT TAKE-UPS AND TRACKINGRemcon's cantilevered telescoping tube style take-ups, with manual screw adjustment, offer the following advantages:
- Cleaning Access - The support tubes are positioned to provide access to the area between the upper & lower belts, for cleaning and inspection of the tail pulley
- Replaceable parts - The bearings are commonly available pillow block style. The threaded working parts of the take-up are commonly available from local fastener or hardware stores, and replaced easily.
- Take-up travel - Generous length of take-up travel: 10 on the shorter conveyors, up to 18 on the longest. On Slider bed conveyors, the belt will be cut so that the majority of the take-up is used for ease of belt installation, repair and replacement, since good quality belts with polyester carcasses have virtually no stretch after initial tensioning, and in some cases will shrink slightly.
- Ease of adjustment - Belt tracking and tension adjustments are made at the tail pulley with one wrench, with no need to loosen and re-tighten the bearing attachment bolts. The moving parts of the take-up have generous amounts of clearance, to prevent binding in the frame or against the bearings (side load) as the take-up moves through its full range. The head pulley is equipped with additional tracking adjusters.
- Versatility - Remcon take-ups will accommodate almost any brand of bearing, in the most common, pillow block style.
SUPPORT LEGSSteel tube construction, with height adjusting devices that also provide accurate leveling.
COMMON COMPONENTSREMCON conveyors are all built from components widely distributed throughout the USA, providing quick and easy service if needed from just about anywhere in the country.
VARIABLE SPEED DRIVEREMCON sorting conveyors are equipped with totally enclosed, fan cooled motors with variable speed drives.
GEAR REDUCERDodge "Torque-Arm 2", parallel gear, shaft-mounted speed reducer meets American Gear Manufacturers Association class 2 rating.
- Crowning: The pulley crowning keeps belt tracking true, minimizing time-consuming adjustments.
- Self-Cleaning: For tail pulleys on conveyors that will be carrying glass. This wing style pulley is designed to expel broken glass and other debris from between the belt and the pulley. This prevents premature belt wear and jamming.
- Lagging: For head (drive) pulleys, on conveyors with heavy loads, for better traction. This heavy duty rubber layer is permanently hot-vulcanized to the pulley.
BELTHigh strength, moderately oil resistant rubber (MOR), 1/8 or thicker top cover with slider surface bottom cover, tensile rating of 330 pounds per inch of belt width. 3-ply woven Polyester carcass prevents future stretching after belt is first tensioned.
BELT CLEANER CLEATS3/4 inch high cleaner cleats continually wipe debris from the return pan, and deposit it in a cleanout area at the tail of the conveyor. Only 2 or 3 cleats are required per conveyor. For certain applications where these cleats may cause an interference, idler pulleys and other options are available.
BELT LACINGFlexco 375 XJ -- The largest, heaviest lacing available for this thickness of belt and pulley diameters. Attached with bolts, rather than staples. This lacing is long-lasting and resists damage.
BEARINGSDodge SXR pillow block with eccentric locking collar for better grip on shaft. All bearings are self-aligning, pillow-block style sealed units, requiring grease only bi-annually.
BELT SPEED4 feet per minute minimum, 150 maximum, with a variable speed range of 80% for standard controls, and a range of 180% for conveyors equipped with optional automatic speed control systems.
MOTORTeco-Westinghouse, severe duty, TEFC, 1.15 service factor, class F insulation for long motor life.
EMERGENCY STOP SYSTEMREMCON provides an emergency stop system, such as cable pull cords and emergency stop buttons as needed according to the system layout.
HOODED PULLEYSBoth ends of the conveyor are guarded by hoods to protect personnel from possible hazards.
FULLY ENCLOSED RETURN PANA completely enclosed belt return pan from head to tail eliminates hazards from all moving components, and prevents debris and liquid from falling on people underneath the conveyor.
HINGED GUARDS FOR DRIVE COMPONENTSRemcons standard guards are hinged to provide convenient access for inspection and maintenance without removing a guard.